contact us

Use the form on the right to contact us.

You can edit the text in this area, and change where the contact form on the right submits to, by entering edit mode using the modes on the bottom right.


LIFE:CAPTURED began in August 2013 when we held our first full-day workshop at RAW Space in Sydney, Australia. Our mission is to help people document their stories and create tangible keepsakes to be treasured for generations to come. We offer intensive design, photography, and memory keeping workshops, as well as interactive online classes. We are advocates of honest photography, minimalist design, and memory keeping that's simple, beautiful, and tangible. We are the pioneers of the story book, and we offer flexible templates that enable everybody to tell their story. We believe that life is worth remembering and that it is never too early or too late to start documenting yours. LIFE:CAPTURED was founded by Rhonda Mason (of the Pink Ronnie blog) and Trish Chong (of Tealily Photography).

A day in the life

The blog

The official blog of LIFE:CAPTURED Inc, the modern school of memory keeping. We believe that life is worth remembering and that it is never too early or too late to start documenting yours. We blog about design, photography, and how you can preserve your story with timeless, tangible keepsakes.

A day in the life


A day in the life - A blog post by Rhonda Mason for LIFE:CAPTURED Inc (The modern school of memory keeping)

| Written by Ronnie |

I am in deep sleep. From a distance (it seems), I hear Rick telling the boys to go back to sleep until 7.30am. I can't believe that it's morning already. I feel like I've only just shut my eyes. At some point, unbeknownst to me, Rick gets out of bed, gets the big boys dressed, and ushers them downstairs for breakfast. 

I can hear the faint sound of Bear crying. I will my eyelids to open. The most gorgeous light is filtering through the blinds. I reach over to open my bedside drawer. I grab the iPhone and look at the time. 8.03am. Crap, time to get up. I swing my legs over the bed, and stumble into the bathroom, then stumble back out to open the blinds. I make the bed and put Rick's tissue box back inside his drawers. I grab my black kimono from the closet and throw it on. Bear is still crying, so I quickly open the blinds in the corridor and make my way to the top of the stairs. "Dad, can you bring up a bottle of milk please?" I go into Bear's room. He is standing up in his cot and pointing out the door. I smile at him, and open his blinds. I pick him up, draw him close to me, and breathe him in as I do every morning. We sit down on the armchair, him still in his sleeping bag. Rick comes in and hands me a bottle. Bear takes it and starts drinking. We grin at each other the whole time. Once he's done, I place him on the change table, and I hand him the Tough Trucks book to read.  I change his dirty nappy and replace his PJ bottom with his black pants. I bring him downstairs and pop him in the high chair. Rick and Jamie are at the table too - Rick has already made the boys' lunches, and Angus and Pete have already finished their breakfast. I wash my hands, pour myself some water, then head back upstairs to grab the rest of my stuff. I sneak in a quick email check before going back downstairs. The boys and I chat while I attempt to feed Bear and also make myself a cup of tea and a bowl of Weet Bix (with muesli). Angus shows me a drawing. Pete tells me there's a school hat in his preschool bag (I tell him to put it into Angus'.) Jamie wants to get down from his chair. Bear is spoon feeding himself and dropping food on the floor. I ask Jamie to get a book for Bear. He gets Blue Hat, Green Hat, and reads it to him. Meanwhile, I get a few more spoonfuls into Bear while I eat. Angus and Pete finish packing their bags. At quarter to nine, everyone is herded into the garage. It is Rick's day off so he's taking all the boys to do drop off to give me some time at home by myself. The boys get their shoes and socks on. Angus sits on the stool that Jamie wants to sit on. Rick puts Jamie on his lap instead. Bear jumps out of my arms and stumbles down the step into the garage by himself. He looks at me and grins. Jamie climbs into the car. Then Pete. Then Bear gets strapped in. Rick comes back over to finish putting his boots on and to help Angus with his second shoe. I'm wondering whether we should get velcro shoes next year. I exchange another kiss and hug with Angus before he climbs into the car too. "Love you boys, have a great day!" Another wave, and I close the door.

I make myself sit down to finish my cup of (now very lukewarm) tea and my Weet Bix. I finish up in the kitchen by putting a few final things into the dishwasher. (Rick has already done an amazing job cleaning up. Legend.) I head upstairs and sit down at my desk. I know I have a billion and one things to do. I check all my emails, re-arrange my schedule in iCal, and put together my task list in Things. It is a long list. I re-order everything in the order I wish to do them. First, bible reading. I go back downstairs and sit on the blue swivel chair and read James 2. "Mercy triumphs over judgment." I pray. I head upstairs and finish off my weekly grooming regime in the ensuite. Then back downstairs to make my Nespresso coffee. Then back upstairs to keep plowing through my list.

 I research Wacom tablets to see if they're a good alternative to the Magic Trackpad. I re-list the online classes for twelve hours only and send out an email to the people who missed the cut-off deadline. I write to Liz. I write to Jodi. I reply to all my other LIFE:CAPTURED emails. I reply to comments on yesterday's blog post about The 52 Project story book. My heart is happy that people have responded to well to it. 

I address a package for Stacey. I update the cache on my Crashplan app. I write back to Squarespace, telling them the font issue on our site is still unresolved, complete with screenshots. I work out my social media timeline for the day. 

I publish my first 'Let's Talk' blog post for LIFE:CAPTURED, hopeful that it creates conversation. I share updates in Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I check them off my social media timeline as I do them. I decide to re-do my Printables blog post scheduled for Monday, but I decide to update my Day in the Life narrative first. Rick comes home with Jamie and Bear. After dropping Angus and Pete off, they went to Warringah Mall and bought some presents for Jonah, Theo, and Liam. They then headed up to Beacon Hill Reserve and watched fire trucks before coming home. Rick puts Bear down, then Jamie. 

I re-do the LIFE:CAPTURED printable for next week and then I spend the rest of the hour sorting through all the photos from last week. It feels good. I also squeeze in a quick lunch of (canned) tuna and rice with soy sauce. Not the most glamorous of meals but satisfying all the same. Rick toasts two bagels in the sandwich maker. We chat briefly before I retire upstairs again. He goes in to his office to do some filing.

Still sorting the last batch of photos from our iPhones. I post  a couple of Instagram updates. I reply to some emails that have come in. I draft up my plan of action for the online classes for the next few days. I do my best to not freak out. Rick has a short nap at half past before going out to pick the boys. As soon as the Discovery is pulling out of the driveway, Jamie starts to cry (loudly) in his bedroom. "Daaaaaaaadddyy! Daaaaaaady!" I am desperate for him not to wake Bear up. I wave madly at Rick through the upstairs windows. He thinks I'm saying 'hello'. I give him a very unmistakable 'Stop!' sign and I make a mental note to practise our body/sign language later that evening. I rush into Jamie's bedroom, whisk him into my arms, grab his top and shorts from the floor, and whisk him downstairs. Rick is back outside the garage. He helps Jamie with his shoes and socks and takes him with him to do pick up.

I sit back down to work. Bear wakes up. I turn up the music on my computer and try to delay for an extra ten minutes or so. Bear gets increasingly upset, so I go in to him. His eyes are moist and his face is all red. I open his blinds and we have a bit of banter about where his dummy has gone. He looks hilarious, trying to walk around in his sleeping bag looking for his dummy. His cuteness is too much for me. I lie down on the sheepskin rug and try to nap for a few minutes. I spy his dummy under the cot. I hand it over to him, put my head back down, and then he throws his dummy at me. We do this on repeat for the new five or so minutes. We head downstairs to the play room. Again, I attempt to nap to no avail. I get the toy tent out instead and encourage Bear to try to go inside. Rick and the three boys come home. Usual meltdown in the garage/mud room because dad is not listening to somebody. 

The boys have had banana milkshake and have settled down to watch Octonauts on DVD because the ABC signal has been down all week. Rick starts cooking in the kitchen. I settle down in the dining room to keep working on my online classes. 

We all settle down for dinner. Rick has made a bolognese with pasta bow ties, sprinkled with parmesan. We finish dinner in fifteen minutes flat. Amazing. Angus and Pete ate with no complaints whatsoever and even Bear ate every single spoonful I give him. (Rick later tells me that he didn't really have lunch.) I give them yoghurt and (very old) blueberries for dessert. Jamie insists on sultanas instead of blueberries. I comply. One by one, the boys get down, bring their bowls and spoons to the kitchen, wash their hands, and head into the family room. Angus works on a birthday card for Jonah. The other three boys and I curl up on the couch to read Alfie's Feet. Rick cleans and washes up in the meals room and the kitchen, then goes upstairs to prepare for bath time.

We all head upstairs. Rick takes over the entire bath time routine as I change into my Zumba clothes. I kiss everyone goodbye and head out the patio door. I arrive at the gym five minutes early - first time ever. I chat with the ladies before Mami appears and begins the class. Mami has forgotten her iPhone so there are long breaks between routines as she scrambles for music on the students' phones. This works well for me because I've been away for two weeks and my body is happy to be eased back in. 

Class finishes at half past. I drive home, admiring the pink and blue sky. I sneak a photo at the traffic lights. Back at home, I sit outside on the patio with Rick and process iPhone photos using VSCO for the first time in the year. Very impressed with how quick the app is on an iPhone 6. We head inside - Rick has filing to finish and I need to crack on with class prep.

Rick finishes filing and watches television since it's his day off and he hasn't had a chance to relax all day. I work in the dining room, trying to stay focused and not get distracted with social media.

Getting tired but determined to push on.

Definitely reaching the end of my reserves. We agree to head upstairs soon.

I pack up my stuff, set everything back up in my studio upstairs so that it's all ready to go the next day. We shower, we chat in bed, we hug, we turn the lights off, and then we're asleep.

* * *

Seriously, I'm so happy to have finally documented an entire day in such detail - thanks to Ali for the constant inspiration. The last day I recorded like this was back in April, exactly six months ago. Can't wait to turn my words and images into a mini story book! 

Have you tried recording an entire day from start to finish in words and pictures?

Follow us on Bloglovin